City of Buena Vista
|Economic Development & Marketing Coordinator
Advertisement & Job Description
|Community & Economic Development
2039 Sycamore Avenue
Buena Vista VA 24416
The City of Buena Vista is seeking a dynamic and energetic individual to serve as Economic Development and Marketing Coordinator. Buena Vista is a small city (pop. 6500) on the move. This summer we kick off grant-funded downtown business district revitalization planning. We just broke ground on our industrial park. Southern Virginia University is one of the fastest growing residential colleges in the United States. Those are all on top of the river, trails, and camping and the safe, relaxed pace of life!
The EDMC goal is to advance the economy and image of the City. He/she builds relationships and represents the City both locally and regionally with a range of individuals and groups in the community, in business, and in government. In addition to cultivating and supporting new and existing businesses, the EDMC works across departments and in the community to improve government/citizen communication and City publicity. The EDMC reports to the Director of Community & Economic Development.
Salary range is $38,000 - $45,000 depending on experience. The City offers a generous benefit package including excellent health insurance and Virginia Retirement System (VRS) participation. Position open until filled. Full description also available at https://bvcity.org/city-careers/. To apply, submit a resume and application form (found here) to Thomas Roberts, Director of Planning & Community Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Business and Economic Development
- Build and maintain relationships with local business owners and managers
- Serve as information hub and facilitate networking among local businesses and community groups
- Coordinate efforts of regional entities to promote business location and retention, including ensuring adequate and current information is available on properties and other relevant issues
- Represent the City and advance its interests on relevant regional boards, commissions, and committees
- Work with educational institutions and regional and state entities to improve and execute workforce development and placement programs
- Develop and manage of economic and community development initiatives, including the City’s Community Development Block Grant downtown planning project, in collaboration with Community Development staff
- Effectively communicate to staff, City Council, and the public about economic development activities through formal presentations, written reports, and graphic media
- Manage City’s Façade Improvement Grant program and Revolving Loan Fund
- Develop and manage additional economic development incentive programs in collaboration with Commissioner of Revenue and other departments
- Serve as secretary to the Buena Vista Economic Development Authority
- Represent the City on the regional tourism organization board of directors, and coordinate with regional tourism organization on projects and strategy
- Collaborate on and execute regional tourism initiatives
- Assist with responding to resident and visitor feedback in a timely fashion
- Develop and execute new City communications and public relations initiatives
- Assist with development and execution of new City communications policies
- Manage City website and social media platforms, including updating content
- Other duties related to communicating and promoting City government and the City as a whole
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and practices of economic development, as demonstrated by a combination of Bachelors degree in related field and progressive relevant experience
- Knowledge of project management principles
- Knowledge of marketing and communications principles and practice, including social media marketing
- Ability to communicate professionally and respectfully with public
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance and disposition to represent the City
- Ability to set priorities, manage time, and work independently
- Ability to attend evening and weekend meetings as needed. This position involves occasional overnight travel to conferences/workshops/meetings.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to operate City car
Tools & Equipment Used
- Laptop computer and standard office equipment
- City-issued smartphone
- City vehicle
Physical demands include sitting, standing, walking, and using hands and fingers for typical office tasks, as well as operating a passenger vehicle for the purpose of local and regional travel. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is typically an office, but may vary with meetings a different types of locations, to include outdoor settings. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description does not list all the responsibilities, duties, skills, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees will be evaluated in part based upon performance of the tasks listed in this job description. Management reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment.
The City of Buena Vista is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its hiring or employment decisions based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.